Climate Action & Energy

Proposol of the german pirate party:

Climate Action:
The Agreement of Paris to limit the temperature increase to 1.5 °C above pre-industrial levels has to be implemented. [*] The necessary concepts and technologies for achieving the climate protection goal have been developed.The Pirate Party demands to provide the conditions that these technologies are used to achieve this goal.

[*] Reference: Paris 2015 UN Climate Change Conference COP21, adoption of the Paris agreement https://unfccc.int/resource/docs/2015/cop21/eng/l09r01.pdf

Energy:
We want to establish a sustainable and reliable energy infrastructure. The transition away from consumed energy resources to regenerative sources is necessary. Use of energy sources has to be sustainable and must not be in conflict with other environmental objectives. The target is a transparent, decentralized, and redundant structure of energy suppliers. This guarantees participation options for all citizens and prevents monopolies."

Otherwise what ?
I fully agree that Climate Action is mandatory and urgent (if we are not too late already). But the Agreement of Paris is already more than two years old and nothing has been done. I think that the governments must be compelled one way or another. I think that wishes and sentences are not enough. I think that all next laws and agreements must include clear penalties, strong enough that the governments can have no other choices than following the laws.
That’s why my question is : “Otherwise what ?

Hi Relf,

what would you suggest?

In Germany the “institut für Entwicklungspolitik” suggested in an unpublished study for the “Federal Ministry of Ecomonic Affairs and Energy” cash penalties for those countries which did not reach the target.

Unfortunately, this goes beyond my skills. I know that governments tend to not carry out their duties, but i don’t know how to force them to act. (Actually, I despair, because I think there is no way to force a government to do what it doesn’t want to do.)

The way could be a worldwide agreement.

I would suggest adding the following sentence to the text:

“We can and we have to learn from eachother about energy transition and we have to discuss at eye level to be successful in energy transition worldwide.”

Greetings

Michael